Home Links Contacts Give us a link
 
Main Cities
Cathedral

The Cathedral of Messina

The historical cathedral of Messina dating back to the 12th century had to be thoroughly restored between 1919-1920 due to the earthquake that had caused serious damage in 1908. During the Second World War when the Allied dropped bombs on the city, a fire destroyed part of the cathedral which was rebuilt in 1943.

The apsidal area has its original Norman structure and the three outstandingly decorated portals of the façade built following the late Gothic style may have been built, at least the central one, at the beginning of 15th century. A sculpture of Jesus among the Evangelists stands in the architrave where it is also possible to admire human beings, animals and plants beautifully sculpted.

The tympanum dates back to the second half of 15th century. There is a nave and two aisles where files of 28 columns stand. Part of the decoration is original except the mosaics in the apse which are reconstructions.

This cathedral is where the remains of remarkable men rest such as Conrad IV king of Germany and Sicily (13th century) and many archbishops. The chapel of Sacrament, built in the late 16th century, houses scenographic decorations and mosaics dating back to 14th century. In 1933 the Ungerer company of Strasbourg incorporated the largest astronomical clock in the world in the bell tower.

Every day a t 12 there is a performance by mechanically animated statues telling the core facts of civil and religious history of Messina.

 
Tuscany